Author Topic: MASTER TREAD TRAINER - Organizing a Class  (Read 2511 times)

Offline TJ

• open/open
MASTER TREAD TRAINER - Organizing a Class
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
I am trying to arrange a Master Tread Trainer Class in the general NJ/NY area.

Jason Ketterick from Tread Lightly! is going to come over from Utah and provide the training, food, beverages, etc.

:D

There are almost no trainers in the NY/NJ area, especially compared to say CA, CO, etc.

I feel that there's a large demand for Tread Lightly! training around here...and, I want to DO something about it.

There are no prerequisites to take the class, anyone can do it...and then be able to train others.  The class teaches everything you need to know to get started, and Tread Lightly! continues to provide support afterwards too.

Its a two day class, it costs $75, and its given on a weekend typically.

We're probably looking to have the class in the Fall.

We are flexible as to where it would be, I'm leaning towards having it at the Wharton State Forest Ranger Station, but, depending on WHO wants the training, and where THEY are coming from, I'll move the location to where most of us are closer to, etc.

We have ~ 12 spots to fill, I'll take one, so that leaves 11 remaining spots to fill.

The first 11 people to make a commitment to saving our off road access get dibs on where and when we DO the class.

Who here is also sick of the closing of off road place after off road place?

Who here wants to fight back?

Tell me if you're ready to fight, and, when in the Fall 2012 would be best for YOU.

- TJ

Offline smichaelR22

• Insane crawler
    • M4WD & Fabrications
Re: MASTER TREAD TRAINER - Organizing a Class
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
I am the President of Fingerlakes4x4, we are a club of about 28 or so years located in and around Rochester NY. 

It may be difficult to get commitment without a date or location, but I will stay tuned.  If not myself, i would like to see a representative from my club attend and support this.

In the fall, keep clear of race, crawl, or Bigdogs events to get any of us.

Michael Abbatte - Fingerlakes4x4
'14 RAM 4500  '98 XJ 33s  '78 F250 wrecker plow
572 Race Buggy single seat rear engine KRT's
573 Brolite ranger  574 Brolite ranger
48' enclosed goose, holds 2 cars with LQ

Offline TJ

• open/open
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:59 AM »
In answer to PM -

Its $75 per person, we're shooting for a course in the Fall, maybe October, to hold the course, its on a weekend, about 12 people is ideal for class size...and if we get more than ~15, we'd try make a second class, etc. 

The curriculum involves the training on how TO train, as this is a MASTER Tread Trainer course, IE: We train the trainers...and then those trainers train others with a shorter course.

The focus on our end involves learning how to prevent trail closures, and to champion the rights of off roaders, etc.  (Out door enthusiasts, etc..)  This is via techniques needed to sway local communities, non-off roaders, to see our side of the story, and, how it benefits THEM to allow the trails to stay open, etc.

So, by having more and more off roaders show respect to the land, so that we are no longer viewed as a bunch of "Hold my beer and watch This!" yahoos...but as responsible citizens with a hobby that can benefit them and their community, we preserve access to trails.

IE: Here's how we roll - and how it can benefit you to have us do it.

Resources ideally would be a room with enough space for at least a dozen or so students, and AV equipment.  Tread Lightly! suppies food/beverages, and, if we don't have it handy...AV equipment too.  Electricity would of course help immensely.  :D

There are no prerequisites to TAKE the course, its completely open to any one who wants to make a difference.

I also found that once we have established a base of Master Trainers, we are very eligible for subsequent grants for trail work and other activities that benefit off roading.  The grants are typically $500.  Some groups use the money to do trail maintenance or lobbying/public realtions efforts, etc. 

How many people do you think we could get together for a class at RC?

There is also interest by quite a few for the Wharton area down south...and if enough people want a more northern class, RC would be a good spot.

--------------------------------

Who here, besides the people who PM'd me, are ready to stop talking about preventing trail closures....

...And DO SOMETHING?

:angrysoapbox_sml:

- TJ

Offline TJ

• open/open
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
For those of you who PM'd me, It looks like a course at RC is happening.

October is looking like a good month for it.

The weekend of the 20th and 27th is probably out, as those dates are, so far, looking like they are booked for other courses and or events.

If you are interested in the course, and a particular weekend in the FALL works best for you, pipe up, and post it, so we can choose a date range that works for the most people.

:rock:

- TJ

Offline TJ

• open/open
Re: MASTER TREAD TRAINER Class - AT RC October 6-7, 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
OK - Tread Lightly has added the October 6-7, 2012 class at Rausch Creek Off Road Park to their site!

Go Here:

http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/programs-master/Master_Trainer_Courses.html?t=1

Scroll down on the page until you see the Rausch Creek Class...

And register for the class.

That's all you need to do for now.

:banana_sml:
- TJ

Offline TJ

• open/open
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
The RC class is all set for the class at the Pavilion at RC.

The registration packets are being sent out soon to those who registered.

How many of us from here are going?

There's already a convoy of sorts heading up "Friday after work" to either camp at RC or stay at the Comfort Inn (I'm at the Inn).

If you need to register still, go here:

http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/programs-master/Master_Trainer_Courses.html?t=1

Scroll down to the RC class, and register.

- TJ